2 ECTS points
Write clearly and productively in English
develop your own text
Our students say
“Your course is the best academic (writing) course I have ever joined”
Jesper Allan Frederiksen, Ph.D-Fellow, Faculty of Science, Section of Geology, KU
Who is GlobalDenmark?
Since 1985, we have helped PhD students communicate their research results to national and international audiences.
Over the past 10 years, more than 2,600 PhD students from universities across the country have participated in our courses.
The course will help you write more clearly and productively in correct English with a view to being published in reputable scientific journals.
You learn to:
- Write efficiently
- Assess text quality
- Read and discuss logically
- Analyse and synthesise
- Master correct sentence structure and grammar in English
- Use terminology and phrases appropriately
- Comply with academic writing conventions
- Benefit from peer feedback on your own writing
- Cooperate in an international, cross-cultural team environment
- Keep your “writer’s optimism”
Attending our presentation and writing courses will develop your competences in international, cross-cultural and cross-disciplinary collaboration and knowledge-sharing.
You will learn to use GlobalDenmark’s unique feedback model for cross-cultural and cross-disciplinary feedback.
Your own texts will be subject to analysis and feedback. You will do a lot of on-site academic writing in small groups under the guidance of your instructors. Throughout the course, we will alternate between group writing excises and plenary instruction, demonstration and discussion. We use peer feedback as a tool during the entire course.
This 4-day academic writing course enables you to do exactly that through:
- Efficient writing routines
- Clear syntax
- Targeted argumentation
- Correct grammar and appropriate vocabulary
- Insights into the mechanics of a scientific paper and its various sections
- Constructive feedback from instructors and peers
The course is open to PhD students from all disciplines and universities. It offers a unique opportunity to build an interdisciplinary network of fellow PhD students.
Teaching and learning methods
Short lectures in combination with active writing exercises, group discussion and analysis.
- You are expected to submit a text sample of your own making, preferably “untouched” by others; in addition, you are to have read our booklet on academic writing. This will be sent to you prior to the course.
- ECTS credits: 2
- Teaching language: English
- Exam form: Active course participation
- Grading scale: Passed / not passed
- Course workload: 52 hours / 4 course days
- Enrolment: University Copenhagen website
Course fee: DKK 5,000 excl. VAT.
What do our students say about us?
Our students say
Your course is the best academic course I have ever joined. I will give you my best recommendations.
Thanks for a great course! This was my first PhD course and you set the bar high. Just wanted you to know that you all three are inspiring teachers.
Who is GlobalDenmark?
Since 1985, we have helped PhD students and other researcheers communicate their research results to national and international audiences.
GlobalDenmark’s expertise comprises cross-cultural management, communication, cooperation and knowledge sharing, as well as text services and translation.
We have developed a series of unique tools, concepts and courses in English and Danish, specifically tailored to the university and research sectors. We work with PhD students, postdocs, senior researchers, laboratory and administrative staff and other knowledge workers working within research and innovation – both in the private and public sector.
GlobalDenmark’s instructors and consultants are expert coaches and trainers for PhD students and senior researchers. We understand the challenges of communicating research, and the personal feedback you receive from us will add valuably to your professional skills.
Our customers use us because they know our consultants and instructors understand the culture, work and priorities of universities and research organisations; we help them optimise their research management, communication, collaboration and knowledge sharing.
Collaboration with the University of Copenhagen
GlobalDenmark is accredited by the University of Copenhagen to teach academic communication for PhD students. Over the past years, more than 2,600 PhD students from all the universities in Denmark have attended our courses. Most of these are ECTS eligible.
Awarded top evaluation by the University of East London in 2012
In 2012, our two PhD courses were subject to a quality audit by the University of East London and received the “Quality Mark” (highest score). This certifies that our PhD courses meet strict quality standards concerning teaching methodology, teacher qualifications and course management.
Other courses and services
Special offers for PhD students
We offer proofreading and editing, as well as personal presentation training. And it’s cheaper than you think! Read more about our special offer for PhD students.
Interested in free events and blogs relevant to you?
Our newsletter philosophy is simple: less is more.
We will write to you about:
- Invitations to our free PhD events
- Special offers for PhDs – e.g. on text editing or presentation coaching
- Links to relevant blogs – relating to your research and your future career
- Info on PhD course dates
- and other topics according to your wishes